Monday, May 23, 2011

Five Pink Roses

Over a year ago, Hilda unearthed another one of Auntie’s unfinished rug hooking projects. Auntie had completed the whip stitch border and left it at that. The rug remained unfinished over home for many years. Now that the rug is completed, it will return with me to PEI on my next trip home and will be placed in the parlour over home with the rest of Auntie’s completed rugs.

Green is my favourite colour. The celery green in this rug is my latest favourite shade of green. I found it on my last trip to MacAuslands Woolen Mill and instantly knew I had to incorporate it into my next project. I choose pink for the roses for two reasons. One is that it contrasted nicely with the green. Secondly, because my mother’s wedding bouquet was made up of pink roses.

From start to finish here it is:



























And here is Aunite.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have no idea what a "whipstitch" is but it sounds painful. The rug however is a work of art. You have the patience of Job.

Neater said...

A whipstich is that black binding around the rug. It is tedious and I don't do it myself, but that was Auntie's style of finishing the rug. Funny thing is, in day to day life, I only have a pinky finger full of patience. But with rugs and afghans, I somehow have the patience to chip away at it. Maybe I am chanelling my inner Auntie....now there is someone who had endless patience.