Sunday, June 05, 2011

The Imperfectionists



"Not at all. I get you. I believe every person on this planet needs human contact to be normal, to be sane. Simple as that. And I’ll admit, I’m no exception."

The Imperfectionists is the first novel by Tom Rachman. London born and University of Toronto graduate, Rachman’s story is set in Rome and concerns the newspaper business. Even though I know absolutely nothing about the newspaper business, I was drawn into this book. More specifically, I was drawn into the lives of the characters portrayed in the book.

I’ve worked in a multitude of jobs, in many places and along the way encountered a variety of “personalities” in the workplace. We all have. But as the old saying goes, how well do you ever really know someone? In this book, I saw the traits of many people I’ve encountered in the workplace. This book, however, gives you a glimpse into the lives of these “personalities” - a behind-the-scenes look if you will. In doing this, I somehow felt I got a glimpse into some of the “personalities” I’ve encountered myself over the years.

There are many things I liked about this book. The length was perfect (269 pages). Each chapter was devoted to a different “character” and every chapter left me hanging – wanting to know more. Substantial questions were answered discretely – and not in the final two pages of the book. I like that Rachman took two pages at the end of the book to thank and acknowledge people in his life – because for too many it is only ever about *them.* With the prevalence of book clubs, I believe The “Readers Guide” at the end of the book will be helpful for many. It contains a conversation with Malcolm Gladwell and a page of questions for topics of discussion.

I got this book as a gift in January and am very grateful for this story. Let’s face it – the world is full of crazies and we’ve all encountered our fair share in the workplace. You will be sure to recognize someone you once knew in this book – and perhaps understand them a little better after reading Rachman’s office tale.

The New Yorker
"[An] acute début ... Rachman, a former editor for the International Herald Tribune, paints the characters’ small dramas and private disappointments with humanity and humor."

No comments: