Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Acton Fall Fair



This Fall my co-worker Lindsey invited me to go to her hometown, Acton, for its annual fall fair. Put on annually by the Acton Agricultural Society since 1913, this year it was celebrating its 100th anniversary. Nicknamed “The Best Little Fair in Ontario” how could I resist?

We headed out after work one Friday and Lindsey’s Mom met us at the Go Station in Acton. Friday night we took in some of the horse pull competition. As it was my first time to witness this, I found it quite interesting....if only I had dressed properly. It was unseasonally cold and I was wearing capri pants. I stuck it out as long as I could, but man it was cold. We headed back to Lindsey’s house, proceeded to break out some drinks, and we chatted with her Mom until midnight. Lots of girl talk and lots of laughter.

The next day, we headed back to the fair. It the light of day, I suddenly realized how much it reminded me of the Dundas Plowing Match. We sat and watched the cow show, which we both enjoyed. There were no Ayrshires to be seen, but a cow show is a cow show. I grew up going to them every year so it was still familiar territory to me. What was not was the horse show. I was surprised at the number of young girls properly outfitted in traditional riding gear that competed that day. Having ridden herself, Lindsey spent a lot of time explaining all the intricacies involved. My Dad would have loved it. A self proclaimed horse lover, he never did get a horse after expressing many times over the years that he wanted one. Mom had put her put down – the cows were enough! What is ironic is that Mom is also a horse lover at heart having grown up with them. Oh well, never say never.....except when Mom says never. Hehe.





My favourite part of these small fairs is always the craft display. At Old Home Week on the Island, I always looked forward to the Women’s Institute exhibit. Acton had a very respectable exhibit of its own. There were lovely paintings, various crafts, baking competition, as well as an antiques competition. I only saw one hooked rug, but what did catch my eye were some collages. I hadn’t done this sine my university days, and this one in particular caught my eye:  




We had some greasy food, drank a slushie, and I won (well, truth be told, I was given) a small Papa Smurf teddy bear. But I never did have a funnel cake. Next time.


No comments: