Sunday, October 21, 2007

Ayr Bay Farm


My father inherited his farm from his uncle Harold and the name came with it: Ayr Bay Farms. "Ayr" becasue of the Ayrshire cows that made up the majority of the cows in the herd and "Bay" because of St. Peters Bay, the bay of water on which the farm borders. For many years, my father has taken our cows to show at local fairs such as the Dundas Ploughing Match or the Provincial Old Home Week fair in Charlottetown. Showing cattle is no easy feat and many people over the years have told me what a good good showman Dad was. I showed the grand total of 1 cow, which knocked me down, shattered my ego and left knee, but that is another post.

My younger brother has taken over the farm and is continuing the tradition of showing cattle. This year was probably the best showing our farm has had both at Old Home Week and at the Atlantic Winter Fair in Halifax. The pictures above display some of the winnings from Charlottetown. My Mom is pictured with the trophies, which is kinda funny as she has never shown a cow in her life. The other picture shows all the ribbons on display and if I can count correctly I see at least 5 red ribbons. I am glad my bed is serving a purpose in my absence.

The boys also did well enough to make it on the cover of Ayrshire Canada this quarter.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful Pictures! I think the photographer should win an award.
-Constance Street Cave Dweller