Sunday, October 07, 2012

41

I am not one to celebrate my birthday. I like having cake with my family when I am home but it ends there. Last year I turned 40. As it was a big milestone birthday, I decided to embrace it and make it memorable. I did this by celebrating it in Ireland with my special somebody. So this year, I was very ambivalent about my birthday. Mom mentioned that we would celebrate when I was to go home in August and that was just fine with me.  My friend Dee, however, insisted that we do something so I consented to a Greek dinner on the Danforth.

The day before my birthday, however, I got my first surprise when my brother Peter delivered flowers and a birthday balloon to me at work. I was so touched. It was quite the adventure getting this home via public transit and I was touched at how many people – bus drivers and strangers - commented and gave me birthday wishes along the way.





My birthday fell on a Friday this year and I happened to have that day off. I of course slept in and then meandered down to the Danforth to walk around and do some window shopping before meeting Dee at our scheduled time. I treated myself to a pedicure and by the time supper rolled around, I was incredibly hungry – rather I was ravenous. I hadn’t eaten much all day to save room for our Greek feast, but I hadn’t eaten enough – so much so that I started to get a headache. I met Dee at the cafe. We were to meet at the cafe and go directly to Astoria. To my surprise, Dee was sipping on a cold drink and seemed to want to sit and chat. I don’t recall saying it but apparently after fifteen minutes, I said “Can we just go and eat?” he he.

When we walked into Astoria, I was surprised to see our friend Adam waiting. That was the first surprise of the evening. We sat down to eat and were into our dinners when I got my second surprise. Someone with a moustache came from behind and kissed me on the cheek. I turned around and much to my surprise there was Brian. My former Manager and now my dear friend, Brian had driven two hours to celebrate my birthday. I could not believe it and was so taken off guard. It was then that Dee told me that she had been trying to stall while in the cafe earlier to give Brian time to get here!

Just when I thought that was it, Doug and Patty Baldwin appeared shortly after that out of nowhere with a large box. I remember shaking my head and thinking “What next?” In the box was a birthday cake from my friend Laura (who is a friend of the Baldwins as well) in Nova Scotia. On the cake was an edible photo of her son Thomas with his beloved blankie that I had made for his older brother Daniel when he was born – that Thomas ultimately made claim to.   




I couldn’t believe it. In such a short period of time all of these various people from corners of my life intersected to celebrate my birthday with me. It was a wonderful surprise. Being the introvert that I am, I find it difficult when any kind of attention is focused on me. Needless to say, I found it a little overwhelming. Then the story came out as to how the evening came together, which came to be called “operation Rossiter.” Doug called “Adam” (he couldn’t remember his last name) at the Archives to find out where I would be on my birthday so he could deliver the birthday cake for Laura. Adam asked Dee and found out we were having dinner together. Dee suggested Adam come – and then Brian emailed Dee and asked to par take as well. And to think I almost put the kibosh on it all when the day before I asked Dee “Do you still want to meet me for dinner? Won’t you be tired after work? I’ll understand if you just want to go home instead.” He he.


A few weeks later, I was home and Mom also wanted to celebrate my birthday. To do so, she invited our Cronin relatives for supper and birthday cake. Cheryl and David meet us for lunch in St. Peters. They came to farm, had supper with us and stayed till late that night. David, Karen, and our cousin Cathy also joined us for supper. We had a wonderful afternoon going through old family photographs that belonged to Cheryl’s grandmother Laura. Mom cooked a lovely home cooked meal for all us and we had birthday cake from the IGA in Souris – my favourite! It was such a lovely family oriented celebration.



Just when I thought all the surprises were over, Mom completely blew me away with two gifts. The first was a green Depression glass decorative bowl as I’ve started collecting green Depression glass. The second came in a very small box. When I saw it, I jokingly said “Oh, what’s this - my diamond?” I opened it and was 100% shocked out of my mind to find inside a pair of diamond stud earrings. My mom remembered me saying once that I’d love to have diamond studs. But never did I think that would *ever* happen. I was completely blown away and so very touched. And for one last surprise, Mom said “Dee knows about it – we discussed it via Facebook.” He he.

I now like surprises.


No comments: