Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Oh yah, it’s Halloween

Six-thirty am this morning, I was standing on the subway platform waiting for the next train. Watching CP24, I heard an announcer refer to today being Halloween. I stood there and thought “Oh yeah, it’s Halloween.” I then felt old. I would never have forgotten this when I was ‘younger.’

As children, we of course looked forward to Halloween. Because we lived in the country, our Mom always drove us around, which I am sure was not much fun for her. We didn’t go to a lot of houses – just neighbours and relatives. I remember it always being cold and always being tired when it was all said and done. We went as far as Cable Head to our great Aunts and Uncles. Margaret Reggie always had a pan of homemade squares in the pantry – and if you were a relative, you got one. And they were *always* so good.

One year Peter and I dressed up as a nurse and a doctor. At age 11, I fit into Hilda’s nurses uniform. Good grief. Her shoes fit me too. Another year, Peter allowed us to dress him up as a woman – wig, make-up, purse – the whole shebang. And he really hammed it up. I can still remember how hard Toddy Ryan laughed.

The last time I dressed up was when I was at Acadia. I recall going to a party at Ian’s home, rooting through a bunch of junk from Frenchys and settling on a celery green Moroccan gown that had gold beading. I wrapped a towel around my head to represent a turban and we headed to the Axe. Looking back, I am not sure there was anything Moroccan about the gown – and wrapping a towel around my head to represent a turban was, I am thinking, not so politically correct. One can only get away with such antics in da Valley.

It was fun to see all the little people out this evening in their costumes. May their trick or treating be done safely.

I’ll leave you with a mighty ‘Har Har Har and a bottle of rum’

 
PS: (I’m on the left – and supposed to be a pirate – I think).

No comments: