Saturday, October 27, 2012

45


In 1967, Canada hosted an International and Universal Exposition in Montreal. It was Canada’s main celebration during the county’s centennial year. It was also the year my parents were married, on August 12th, at St. Alexis Roman Catholic Church in Rollo Bay, PEI.

This year marked Mom and Dad’s 45th wedding anniversary. This realization began with Peter asking David “How old are you this year?” (Answer = 44). Much to David’s horror, Mom once joking referred to David once as her “centennial project.” The boys, Karen and I decided to have a party to celebrate. One might think it would be more suitable to have such a gathering for a fiftieth celebration. But with Dad’s health scare earlier this year, combined with the fact that we enjoy having family gatherings every summer, well, we decided to go for it.

In consultation with Mom and Dad, we developed a guest list. We decided against having the party a surprise and felt instead, it was important to consult with Mom and Dad on all our ideas. After subtracting and then adding to the guest list, the final count was fifty people plus – with the majority being just family. It was fortunate that all of our first cousins on Dad’s side were home for our Rossiter Family Reunion (which took place the day after the anniversary party). Here are the invitations I had made for the party:


David and Karen offered to host the event. Having recently built an enormous deck onto the back of their home, it was the perfect location to have the party. David and Karen took care of the menu, purchased all the food and did all of the cooking – no small feat – but one that they booth seem to enjoy. Trying to contribute as much as possible, I agreed to pick up all the plates, napkins, cutlery, etc...The theme for a 45th anniversary is sapphire so I suggested a blue theme. I also contacted a local woman to have a custom cake made. Although it didn’t turn out quite as I had hoped (yes, I am *too* fussy), everyone seemed pleased. I did like the shamrock details on the cake, which I asked to be similar to the detailing on Belleek China.  



All in all it was a wonderful party. We were so pleased with the turnout. All of our parent’s siblings came as well as almost all our first cousins. All of our neighbors, friends and extended family that were invited came. It was wonderful to see everyone and my only regret is that I didn’t take more photos. But here are a few we did take:

 
 
 

Later that week, I sat down with Mom and went through all their wedding photographs. I had seen them before of course, but I wanted to sit down with Mom and have her share her memories connected with each photograph. It had the potential to be sentimental but I was of course laughing hysterically five minutes into our stroll down memory lane.




We looked at Mom’s wedding book and her one-liner comments came fast and furious. She commented on everything – from her penmanship, to her crooked tiara, to how much taller she was then her father who walked her down the aisle. Everything seemed to strike us funny....until we came to the guest portion of the book. Looking at the signatures of guests in attendance, we were surprised to realize how many people have since passed. This of course applied to the wedding party as well. Mom’s sister Josie and Dad’s brother DeDe, both now dead, signed the book at the very top of the page:



I also came across the speech that Dad made at their wedding reception, Which Mom says that Jimmie MacAulay helped him write. It was touching to read. In it he thanked Auntie, Harold and Joe, and referenced his parents who had been long since deceased. Mom said that apparently his speech had Josie bawling....then again, it was always said that Josie’s bladder was behind her eyes.


I love that my parent’s wedding photos are in black and white – they are timeless. And I think my Mom looked so beautiful – even though she hates her wedding dress to this day. It was August and it was hot – long sleeves and lace fabric were simply not a good mix. So much so that she itches to this day when she sees any clothing made out of lace.  But I think she looked radiant – and still does to this day.




No comments: